Joe's Union Review sells out and gets a Facebook page

Facebook is all the rage, actually I'm there and that probably means that it's on the decline. Oh yeah, I knew about it and figured it was only a matter of time before I went and signed up, it's pretty functional for quickly posting messages and getting a good group of liked minded people communicating. It's great to keep up with info. It is by no means a replacement for a web page that you own yourself. It's more like something else to clutter your mind :)

Facebook, is another tool for the union activist, my account may be deleted eventually, but it's fun.

Joe's Union Review's Facebook page: Oh yeah you need an account and to befriend me to see it

Here's some warnings if you choose to sign up:
  • Be frugal with the personal information you publish, there have been cases of employers not hiring and firing people because of what they had posted on one of these "social network" sites
  • Do not post anything you may regret, as all your info is in the hands of Facebook and anyone who saves your content.
  • Facebook owns any images/video's you upload.
  • Do not add apps (short term for a Facebook application) if you are not sure they are safe, there are certain apps which are bad for you, your PC and your account. You can always choose to learn more and read what people say about the app before running it, I play Mafia Wars, like any good "Union Thug", so add me to your gang if you try that out.
  • People on the internet are anything they choose to be, so be careful who you friend.
  • When you sign up, review your Privacy settings. You should click on the "Settings" button on the right hand side of the top blue toolbar, scroll down to "Privacy" click it and choose "Profile", I recommend setting everything to "Only Friends" until you get familiar with the program.
  • and the most important thing to know about a service that is owned by someone else, they can shut you down in a heartbeat.
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8263/facebooky.jpg

You can also follow me on Twitter, theres more info and a sorta tutorial in this story
Congress goes high tech: House Education and Labor and 3 other Congressional Committee's go live on Twitter

The MySpace page is kinda dying, as Facebook and Twitter will one day

2 comments:

john said...

Welcome to the good book Joe! Be careful tho - you've made a Terms of Service violation from the off. This is how they justified kicking out an SEIU hospitality campaign, that they weren't really a person but were using a personal profile, rather than an organisation/marketing page, and gathering friends rather than fans.
I found a good list recently of the most likely ways to earn yourself a faceban, that you might like (forewarned is forearmed!): http://www.johninnit.co.uk/2009/03/17/how-to-get-kicked-out-of-facebook

Joe638NYC said...

Thanks for the info Johninnit, I figure that they can ban me for any reason, I could always changed my name to Joes Unionreview, guess it's only a matter of time, but if you think of it, I'm getting users to my profile and they are clicking the ads, so I would have to wonder what the problem could possibly be. Actually I just like adding links, getting into the groups and the causes and even playing some of their games.

Post a Comment

Thanks for choosing to comment, your comment is subject to moderation and will appear when I am on the web. No personal attacks please. Junk posts by what I deem as a internet troll will simply be deleted.
All views are welcome, please post links, if any, that have to do with the story, as this will help myself and other readers to follow for more information. Thanks, Joe