Goodbye Cool Hand Luke

From The Sting to Slapshot, Paul Newman had audiences worldwide stop everything and take a seat and watch, to me he was a mans man in the line of Eastwood and early Bronson, he personified cool, but unbeknown to many, he was a very giving man, here's a snip from a dedication page on YouTube by Maureen52:
In 1982, Newman and his neighbor, A.E. Hotchner, started a company to market Newman's original oil-and-vinegar dressing. Newman's Own, which began as a joke, grew into a multimillion-dollar business selling popcorn, salad dressing, spaghetti sauce and other foods. All of the company's profits are donated to charities. By 2007, the company had donated more than $175 million.

In 1988, Newman founded a camp in N.E. Connecticut for children with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. He went on to establish similar camps in several other states and in Europe.
It's been a tough week for all of us, and I apologize for not bringing this up sooner, I'll always think about him not staying down when he was getting beaten in Cool Hand Luke, I got a lot of beatings when I was a kid and even though there were always a group of them, I wouldn't stay down.

Paul Newman 1925-2008



The Story Of Newman's Own

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for choosing to comment, your comment is subject to moderation and will appear when I am on the web. No personal attacks please. Junk posts by what I deem as a internet troll will simply be deleted.
All views are welcome, please post links, if any, that have to do with the story, as this will help myself and other readers to follow for more information. Thanks, Joe