Long Island City, NY (March 17, 2008) - The Tile, Marble and Terrazzo Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee, Local 7, will conduct recruitment on March 21 through October, 11, 2008 State Labor Commissioner M. Patricia Smith announced today. A total of six applicants will be accepted for the following trades: tile, marble and terrazzo apprentice; marble carver, cutter and setter; and terrazzo setter. Applications will be available in person only at the International Masonry Institute, 12-07 44th Ave., Long Island City, New York, on March 21 and July 11, 2008. Applications may be obtained at 3281 Route 206S, Bordentown, New Jersey on March 28 and July 18, 2008. Applicants will be admitted from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
The committee requires that applicants:
* Be at least 18 years old.
* Have a high school diploma.
* Have reliable transportation.
* Be physically able to do the work without threatening their health or safety or the health or safety of others.
For further information, applicants should contact the New York State Department of Labor office located nearest their home or the local at 718-706--7229.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.
Asbestos Removers and Bricklayers are also still accepting applications.
LONG ISLAND REGION
- General Building Laborer's #66 Training Fund 10/15/2007-10/29/2008
- JATC for the Electrical Industry #25 03/05/2008-02/18/2009
- Northeastern Joint Apprenticeship & Training 01/21/2008-01/23/2009
- Operating Engineers Local 138, 138A, 138B, 138C 04/01/2008-09/30/2008
- Plumbers Local #200 JAC 11/05/2007-04/21/2008
- United Derrickmen & Riggers Local #197 03/31/2008-04/04/2008
Please refer to "Get a Union job: Construction Laborers, Bricklayer and Asbestos Remover and more job openings in New York" for more information on other union opportunities. employment help for returning veterans and women in the construction industry.
Word has it the Painters DC9 and Ironworkers580 will be having applicants soon.